Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Road Less Traveled By . . .

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I -took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." by Robert Frost

    I took a walk on this path on our property the other day.  I couldn't help but think of that poem and how perfectly it describes myself and family.  Many of my choices seem to have been the one's less traveled.  . .Getting my bachelors degree despite having a toddler and expecting a second, the decision to  have six children, the career choice of being a stay at home mom,  and most recently, uprooting my family and  moving  a whole country away from friends, extended loved ones, and all normalcy we've known to live in Soldotna, Alaska. Life is an adventure and even more so in Alaska.   It has been a crazy, sometimes difficult journey, but I don't regret it. It was the right decision for us, not necessarily the easiest.  I look around at this path that I find myself on .  It is amazing, beautiful, unpredictable, and nothing but hullabaloo (love this word which means; loud confused noise or excitement, uproar; commotion). That describes my life. I'll take it! 

   Speaking of Chaos, the neighbors have been visiting again.  I just wish they would put things back when they borrow them.  This visitor is taking off with our electrical fence.  Fortunately for him it wasn't plugged in.   The picture is blurry because he is running,  but you can see the long white fencing trailing behind the bull moose. 
These neighbors have been a little more polite, but they do seem to eat and run.
What a sweet mommy and twins!


I met this guy yesterday. He was just plain rude.  He cut me completely off while I was driving and didn't even bother to at least give me the obligatory nod.  I had a discussion with friends about what that thing is hanging under his chin.  Surprisingly it is not Rocky, but what's called a dewlap.  The function is unknown but one theory is that it is used for communication during the rut.  Thanks to my friend Nikiesha for that interesting info ;)

As you can see, Autumn is beautiful here.  It's my favorite season and even more so in Alaska.  How breathtakingly panoramic it is.  These pictures don't do it justice.  My only complaint is that it's duration is so short.  Like a friend said today, "They should call it fell, not fall."  With  winter just lurking around the corner we have been busy preparing.


That means trees had to come down.



The kids were more then happy to "help"  drag the fallen trees over with the tractor to be cut.



The undesirables made an amazing bon fire that was perfect for family night, friends, and s'mores after it died down.
Ta Da!  The finished product!  Thanks to hard work and our dear friends ,The Kenners who came to help, we will have plenty of wood to keep our stove piping hot through the cold winter. 
( This is only half of it.)



When I take a moment to sit back and look at where I am, I'm so grateful for this path I'm on.  Despite the Craziness and difficult times.  It really is "Hullabaloo Sweet Hullabaloo"!





4 comments:

  1. Your property is beautiful, your beautiful, and your writing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments almost made me cry! You always make me feel so loved! Miss you all!

      Delete
  2. You have a beautiful blog. life right now is kinda crazy with missing my mom even though I know we are together forever it's harder than I thought. Then my lawn care trailer got hit and ruined my mowers/equipment and totaled my trailer. So yes talk about crazy. I really like that new word I learned Hullabaloo. Your Sweet Mother told me anytime I needed to visit about anything I better stop by. (maybe It's cuz she would finally get a chance to visit. Everytime I would stop to see your mom and dad, I think it was more your dad talking) So I will take her up on her offer. I am honored and grateful to be apart of your family. The lessons I learned from your dad have helped me more than ever. Thanks for sharing this. Your friend: Johnnie Harper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to see you are blogging again. Life is always an adventure. I'm on quite the adventure right now...and I'd rather not be on this road. But, it is what it is, and I'm learning a lot. Miss you guys and hope you are doing well!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete